Saturday & Sunday, November 4 – 5
1001 Wisconsin Place, Madison, Wis.
Presented by Wisconsin Cheese Originals
Thank you Premiere Sponsor Carr Valley Cheese!
The special hotel room block for Wisconsin Cheese Camp at The Edgewater has now expired. Several hotels in downtown Madison have openings. You may contact them directly.
Saturday All-Day Cheese Factory Tours
Choose from one of two All Day Bus Tours to Wisconsin dairy farms and cheese factories. You’ll ride an executive coach bus to meet master cheesemakers, third generation dairy farmers, and learn about Wisconsin’s dairy heritage and our future. Each tour limited to 24 people. Tours leave The Edgewater at 8:00 a.m. and return by 5:30 p.m. Cost: $139/person, includes lunch.
Wisconsin Farmstead Creamery Tour: Start your morning with fresh milk and delicious ice cream at Sassy Cow Creamery. You’ll get a personal tour of the Baerwolf family dairy farm and view their new rotary milking parlor. Then get a backstage pass into the farmstead’s dairy plant and drink bottled milk and eat ice cream, fresh from the farm. Next, visit Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese in Waterloo. You’ll visit the family’s dairy farm, tour their cheese plant, and enjoy a gourmet lunch prepared in the farm’s culinary kitchen. Afterward, motor to Paoli for a talk and tasting with cheesemaker Anna Landmark and co-owner Anna Thomas Bates, of Landmark Creamery. The pair of Annas just opened a new retail store and aging cellars for their award-winning, super small-batch artisan sheep milk cheeses.
Battle of the Cheddars: Perhaps no cheese better defines Wisconsin’s past and present than Cheddar. Start the tour off at Cedar Grove Cheese in Plain, Wisconsin, with a tour, talk and Cheddar tasting with Master Cheesemaker Bob Wills. Then it’s off to Carr Valley Cheese in LaValle, owned by Master Cheesemaker Sid Cook. You’ll hear how this fourth-generation cheesemaker is re-defining Cheddar with seasonal wheels and mixed milk cheeses. After lunch at The General Store in Spring Green, you’ll end the day at Hook’s Cheese in Mineral Point, where cheesemakers Tony, Julie, Jerry, (another) Julie, Brian and Mel — all Hooks — are aging cheddar to perfection in their historic cheese factory and curing rooms.
Saturday Night Wisconsin Cheddar Dinner
Join a room full of Wisconsin cheesemakers for a four-course Wisconsin Cheddar Dinner at The Edgewater with guest speaker, author Gordon Edgar. Ticket includes a copy of Gordon’s book, Cheddar: A Journey to the Heart of America’s Most Iconic Cheese. Tickets: $119/person.
Deconstructed Hook’s Sharp Cheddar Pimento Cheese Bruschetta with Local Wisconsin Honey, Marcona Almonds, and Fig Preserves
LaClare Farms’ Raw Cheddar Goat Cheese Panna Cotta, Thyme-Scented Beets and Butternut Squash, Petite Greens, Walnut Vinaigrette
Pan-seared Beef Filet, Roelli Cheese’s Dunbarton Bleu Cheese Butter, Carr Valley 6-year aged Cheddar Potato Gratin, Red Wine Cipollini Gastrique, Autumn Vegetables
Red Barn Family Farms’ Edun Raw Milk Cheddar Brulee, Blistered Grapes, Moscato Sorbet
Sunday Morning Taste of Place Seminar
Learn and taste four different cheeses from around the world that showcase Biodiversity and Taste of Place in a 90-minute tasting & talk starting at 10:00 a.m. with Uplands Cheesemaker Andy Hatch and Bronwen & Francis Percival, authors of the new book: Reinventing the Wheel: Milk, Microbes, and the Fight for Real Cheese. Bronwen is the cheese buyer for Neal’s Yard Dairy in London, and along with Dr. Benjamin Wolfe, co-founded the website MicrobialFoods.org, a scientific resource for producers, purveyors, and enthusiasts of artisan microbial foods. Francis is a cheese and wine writer and educator, whose work has appeared in The World of Fine Wine, Decanter, the UK’s Financial Times, as well as in Culture, Saveur, and Gourmet. All attendees will receive a complimentary hard cover copy of their book. Tickets: $45/person.
Sunday Afternoon Meet the Cheesemaker
The largest gathering of Wisconsin artisan and master cheesemakers in one room descends upon Madison Nov. 5 inside the Grand Ballroom at The Edgewater, as 30 of the best Wisconsin cheesemakers gather to sample 150 artisan cheeses at Wisconsin Cheese Camp’s Meet the Cheesemaker Gala. Open bar including beer, wine and soda included in ticket price. VIP attendees gain entrance one hour earlier. All attendees get a free insulated lunch bag, courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
Regular Admission with Open Bar at 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
VIP Access with Open Bar at 12 Noon – 4:00 p.m.
Participating Wisconsin Cheesemakers Include:
- Bleu Mont Dairy, Blue Mounds, Wis: meet Cheesemaker Willi Lehner and taste Bandaged Cheddar & Alpine Renegade
- Caprine Supreme, Black Creek, Wis: meet Cheesemaker and Owners Todd & Sheryl Jaskolski sampling Goat Milk Cheese Curds, Feta, Lavender Jack Cheddar, Goat Brie & Roh Kase Raw Milk Cow Cheese
- Carr Valley Cheese, LaValle, Wis: meet Master Cheesemaker Sid Cook and National Sales Director Dave Christoff and taste Snack Stix in Smoked Cheddar, Cranberry Chipotle, Goat Cheddar, Native Sheep & Bread Cheese Stix; Menage Butter, Goat Butter, Marisa, Snow White Goat Cheddar, Black Goat Truffle, Menage, Apple Smoked Cheddar, Apple Smoked Garlic Cheddar, Wildfire Blue & Penta Creme
- Caves of Faribault, Faribault, Minn: Meet Head Cheesemaker Rueben Nilssen and Plant Manager Jill Ellingson and taste Jeff’s Select, St. Mary’s & St. Pete’s Select
- Cedar Grove Cheese, Plain, Wis: Meet Master Cheesemaker Bob Wills & Cheesemaker Aaron Peper and taste Quark, Chevre, Organic Cheddar & Donatello
- Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese, Waterloo, Wis: Meet owner George Crave and taste Fresh Mozzarella, Marinated Fresh Mozzarella, Mascarpone, Part-Skim Mozzarella, Farmer’s Rope String Cheese, Cheddar Cheese Curds & Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Curds
- Edelweiss Creamery, Monticello, Wis: Meet Master Cheesemaker Bruce Workman and taste Butterkase, Havarti, Dill Havarti, Tuscan Dream, Grass Based Aged Gouda & Emmentaler
- Get Culture, Madison, Wis: Meet Valerie Tobias and learn how starter cultures help determine the flavor of cheese in an innovative “Science of Cheese” display
- Hidden Springs Creamery, Westby, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Brenda Jensen and taste seven flavors of Driftless: Natural, Pumpkin, Cranberry, Basil, Honey, Maple, Tomato; as well as Wischago, Vernon County Renegades, Ocooch Mountatin, Meadow Melody, Bohemian Blue, Timber Coulee & Bad Axe
- Hook’s Cheese, Mineral Point, Wis: Meet the Hook Family Cheesemakers and taste 15-Year Cheddar, 10-Year Cheddar, 2-Year Cheddar, Colby, Triple Play Extra Innings, Hurdy Gurdy, Original Blue, Blue Paradise, Gorgonzola, Little Boy Blue, Barneveld Blue, Ewe Calf to be Kidding Blue & Tilston Point
- Klondike Cheese, Monroe, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Adam Buholzer, Sales Director Pete Buol, and Production Scheduler Jeremy Wahl and taste Odyssey Feta & Odyssey Greek Yogurt
- LaClare Farms, Malone, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Katie Fuhrmann and Owners Larry & Clara Hedrich and taste Evalon, Cave Aged Chandoka, Martone, Goat Cheddar, Raw Goat Cheddar, Goat Jack, Pepper Jack, Feta, Mozzarella & Chevre
- Landmark Creamery, Albany, Wis: Meet Co-owners Anna Thomas Bates and Cheesemaker Anna Landmark and taste Anabasque, Pecora Nocciola & Tallgrass Reserve
- Maple Leaf Cheesemakers, Monroe, Wis: Meet Owner Shirley Knox and taste Jeff’s Select, English Hollow Cheddar, Pepper Jack, & Smoked Gouda
- Marieke Gouda, Thorp, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Marieke Penterman and taste Marieke Belegen Gouda, Foenegreek Gouda, Truffle Gouda, Marieke Golden & Marieke Gouda Aged 9-12 months
- Martha’s Pimento Cheese, Milwaukee, Wis: Meet Owner Martha Davis Kipcak and taste Martha’s Pimento Cheese in Mild, Jalapeno and Chile de Arbol flavors
- Montchevre, Belmont, Wis: Meet Owners Arnaud Solandt & Cheesemaker Jean Rossard and Sales Director Patrick Considine and taste Non-GMO Goat logs, Bucheron, Chevre in Blue, Goat Brie, Goat Feta, Goat Cheddar
- North Hendren Cooperative Dairy, Willard, Wis: Meet Dairy Farmers Emily & Adam Williams and taste North Hendren Blue, Gorgonzola, Smoked Blue and Rumena Modra.
- Potter’s Crackers, Madison, Wis: Meet Owner Nancy Potter and taste all cracker flavors & oyster crackers
- Quince and Apple, Madison, Wis: Meet Owners Matt & Clare Stoner Fehnsenfeld and taste their preserves: Figs & Black Tea, Raspberry Rose, Pear with Honey & Ginger, Tart Cherry & White Tea, Shallots with Red Wine, Peach Chamomile, Orange Marmalade & Pear Mostarda
- Red Barn Family Farms, Appleton, Wis: Meet Owners Dr. Terry and Paula Homan and taste Cupola, Edun Raw Milk Cheese, Le Rouge Alpine Style Cheese & 5-Year Weis
- Roelli Cheese, Shullsburg, Wis: Meet Master Cheesemaker Chris Roelli and taste Dunbarton Blue, Red Rock, Little Mountain & Roelli Haus Select Cheddar
- Sartori Cheese, Plymouth, Wis: Meet Master Cheesemaker Mike Matucheski and taste 2017 U.S. Grand Champion Black Pepper BellaVitano, SarVecchio Parmesan, Rosemary and Olive Oil Asiago, Pastorale Blend & MontAmore
- Saxon Cheese, Cleveland, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Eric Steltenpohl and taste Snowfields Butterkase, Ferme Meadows & Saxony Alpine
- Sheep Dairy Association of Wisconsin: Meet Dairy Farmer Laurel Kieffer and taste Wisconsin sheep milk cheeses and products
- Springside Cheese, Oconto Falls, Wis: Meet Co-owner Nathan Hintz and taste Krakow, Pueblo Jack & Cheddar
- Union Star Cheese & Willow Creek, Fremont, Wis: Meet Master Cheesemaker Jon Metzig and taste Red Willow, St. Jeanne & Farmhouse Cheddar
- Uplands Cheese, Dodgeville, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Andy Hatch and taste Pleasant Ridge Reserve
- Widmer’s Cheese Cellars, Theresa, Wis: Meet Master Cheesemaker Joe Widmer and Cheesemaker Joey Widmer and taste Mild Brick, Aged Brick, Caraway Colby, Brick Spread, 6-Year White Cheddar & 12-Year Cheddar