Wisconsin Cheese Camp
Saturday & Sunday, November 4 – 5
1001 Wisconsin Place, Madison, Wis.
Presented by Wisconsin Cheese Originals
With special thanks to Premiere Sponsor Carr Valley Cheese!
Tickets to Wisconsin Cheese Camp go on sale exclusively to members of Wisconsin Cheese Originals on September 6. Any remaining tickets will go on sale to the public October 3. Tickets to Wisconsin Cheese Camp will sell out fast. Want to make sure you get tickets? Click here to become a member of Wisconsin Cheese Originals for just $35 a year. You’ll get invited to events year-round and help support beginning Wisconsin artisan cheesemakers.
- All-in-one package is $359: includes your choice of one Saturday all-day cheese factory bus tour, one ticket to Saturday evening Wisconsin Cheddar Dinner featuring author Gordon Edgar, one ticket to Sunday morning seminar on Biodiversity and Taste of Place with authors Bronwen & Francis Percival, one VIP ticket with early entrance to the Sunday afternoon Meet the Cheesemaker Gala inside The Edgewater Grand Ballroom. Note: hotel not included- book separately if needed (see below).
Ala Carte Prices:
- Saturday small-group All-Day Cheese Factory & Dairy Farm Bus Tours, each limited to 25 people: $139
- Saturday evening Wisconsin Cheddar Dinner with author Gordon Edgar at The Edgewater: $120
- Sunday morning Cheese & Microbes seminar with Bronwen & Francis Percival and Cheesemaker Andy Hatch: $45
- Sunday afternoon VIP – early entrance to Meet the Cheesemaker Gala: $75
- Sunday afternoon regular admission Meet the Cheesemaker Gala: $50
Saturday All-Day Tours
Choose from one of three different All Day Bus Tours to Wisconsin dairy farms and cheese factories. You’ll meet master cheesemakers, third generation dairy farmers, and learn more about Wisconsin’s dairy heritage and our future. Each tour limited to 25 people.
Red Barn Farms Tour: Dr. Terry and Paula Homan of Red Barn Family Farms will be your hosts for this tour, celebrating the small dairy farms and cheese plants of Wisconsin. You’ll start with a tour of Amy & Neal Holewinski’s dairy farm, getting up close and personal with their 40 cows in a traditional milking barn. Then motor to Willow Creek Cheese, for a tour and talk with one of Wisconsin’s youngest Master Cheesemakers, Jon Metzig. End the day with a tour and talk at LaClare Farms. You’ll meet the Hedrich family’s 450 dairy goats, learn about making farmstead goat cheese from U.S. Champion Cheesemaker Katie Fuhrmann, and try an array of cheeses from Willow Creek and LaClare Farms. Box lunch provided.
Wisconsin Farmstead Creamery Tour: Start your morning with fresh milk and delicious ice cream at Sassy Cow Creamery. You’ll get a personal tour of the Baerwolf family dairy farm and view their brand new rotary milking parlor in action. Then get a backstage pass into the farmstead’s dairy plant and drink bottled milk and eat ice cream, fresh from the farm. Next, visit Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese in Waterloo. You’ll visit the family’s dairy farm, tour their cheese plant, and enjoy a gourmet lunch prepared in the farm’s culinary kitchen. Afterward, motor back toward Madison for a talk and tasting with Anna Landmark, a young cheesemaker crafting award-winning, super small-batch artisan sheep milk cheeses from the milk of one dairy farm.
Battle of the Cheddars: Perhaps no cheese better defines Wisconsin’s dairy legacy and its future than Cheddar. Start the tour off at Cedar Grove Cheese in Plain, Wisconsin, with a tour, talk and Cheddar tasting with Master Cheesemaker Bob Wills. Then it’s off to Carr Valley Cheese in LaValle, owned by Master Cheesemaker Sid Cook. You’ll hear how this fourth-generation cheesemaker is re-defining Cheddar with seasonal wheels and mixed milk cheeses. After lunch at The General Store in Spring Green, you’ll end the day at Hook’s Cheese in Mineral Point, where cheesemakers Tony, Julie, Jerry, (another) Julie, Ben and Mel — all Hooks — are aging cheddar to perfection in their historic cheese factory and curing rooms.
Saturday Night Wisconsin Cheddar Dinner
Enjoy a four-course Wisconsin Cheddar Dinner at The Edgewater with guest speaker and superstar cheesemonger Gordon Edgar, of Rainbow Grocery in San Francisco. You’ll hear Gordon talk about Wisconsin Cheddar and read humorous and informative excerpts from his book: Cheddar: A Journey to the Heart of America’s Most Iconic Cheese. Ticket includes a complimentary copy of Gordon’s book. Dinner limited to 95 attendees.
Sunday Morning Cheese & Microbes Seminar
Learn about Biodiversity and Taste of Place in a 90-minute master seminar with Bronwen & Francis Percival, authors of the new book: Reinventing the Wheel: Milk, Microbes, and the Fight for Real Cheese. Bronwen is the cheese buyer for Neal’s Yard Dairy in London, and along with Dr. Benjamin Wolfe, co-founded the website MicrobialFoods.org, a scientific resource for producers, purveyors, and enthusiasts of artisan microbial foods. Francis is a cheese and wine writer and educator, whose work has appeared in The World of Fine Wine, Decanter, the UK’s Financial Times, as well as in Culture, Saveur, and Gourmet. They’ll partner with guest Uplands Cheesemaker Andy Hatch. All attendees will receive a complimentary copy of their book. Limited to 75 attendees.
Sunday Afternoon Meet the Cheesemaker
No Cheese Camp would be complete without a fabulous Meet the Cheesemaker Gala in The Edgewater Grand Ballroom, where 30 cheesemakers and artisan food producers will sample more than 125 cheeses and artisan foods to just 400 lucky attendees. VIP attendees gain entrance one hour earlier and receive three complimentary drink tickets that may be used for your choice of wine, craft beer or soda. Regular ticket-holders receive two complimentary drink tickets. All attendees get a free lunch bag cooler, courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
Participating Artisans Include:
- Bleu Mont Dairy, Blue Mounds, Wis: meet Cheesemaker Willi Lehner and taste Bandaged Cheddar & Alpine Renegade
- Caprine Supreme, Black Creek, Wis: meet Cheesemaker and Owners Todd & Sheryl Jaskolski sampling Goat Milk Cheese Curds, Mild Cheddar, Lavender Jack, Creamy Parm, Goat Milk Brie, Feta, Gouda & Roh Kase
- Carr Valley Cheese, LaValle, Wis: meet National Sales Director Dave Christoff and taste Snack Stix in Smoked Cheddar, Cranberry Chipotle, Goat Cheddar, Native Sheep & Bread Cheese Stix; Menage Butter, Goat Butter, Marisa, Snow White Goat Cheddar, Black Goat Truffle, Menage, Apple Smoked Cheddar, Apple Smoked Garlic Cheddar, Wildfire Blue & Penta Creme
- Caves of Faribault, Faribault, Minn: Meet Head Cheesemaker Rueben Nilssen and Plant Manager Jill Ellingson and taste Jeff’s Select, St. Mary’s & St. Pete’s Select
- Cedar Grove Cheese, Plain, Wis: Meet Master Cheesemaker Bob Wills & Cheesemaker Aaron Peper and taste Quark, Chevre, Organic Cheddar & Dontello
- Cosmic Wheel Creamery, Clear Lake, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Rama Haffpauer and taste Cosmic Wheel cheeses
- Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese, Waterloo, Wis: Meet owner George Crave and taste Fresh Mozzarella, Marinated Fresh Mozzarella, Mascarpone, Part-Skim Mozzarella, Farmer’s Rope String Cheese, Cheddar Cheese Curds & Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Curds
- Edelweiss Creamery, Monticello, Wis: Meet Master Cheesemaker Bruce Workman and taste Butterkase, Havarti, Dill Havarti, Tuscan Dream, Grass Based Aged Gouda & Emmentaler
- Hidden Springs Creamery, Westby, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Brenda Jensen and taste seven flavors of Driftless: Natural, Pumpkin, Cranberry, Basil, Honey, Maple, Tomato; as well as Wischago, Vernon County Renegades, Ocooch Mountatin, Meadow Melody, Bohemian Blue, Timber Coulee & Bad Axe
- Hook’s Cheese, Mineral Point, Wis: Meet the Hook Family Cheesemakers and taste 15-Year Cheddar, 10-Year Cheddar, 2-Year Cheddar, Colby, Triple Play Extra Innings, Hurdy Gurdy, Original Blue, Blue Paradise, Gorgonzola, Little Boy Blue, Barneveld Blue, Ewe Calf to be Kidding Blue & Tilston Point
- Klondike Cheese, Monroe, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Adam Buholzer, Sales Director Pete Buol, and Production Scheduler Jeremy Wahl and taste Odyssey Feta & Odyssey Greek Yogurt
- LaClare Farms, Malone, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Katie Fuhrmann and Owners Larry & Clara Hedrich and taste Evalon, Cave Aged Chandoka, Martone, Goat Cheddar, Raw Goat Cheddar, Goat Jack, Pepper Jack, Feta, Mozzarella & Chevre
- Landmark Creamery, Albany, Wis: Meet Co-owners Anna Thomas Bates and Cheesemaker Anna Landmark and taste Anabasque, Pecora Nocciola & Tallgrass Reserve
- Maple Leaf Cheesemakers, Monroe, Wis: Meet Owner Shirley Knox and taste Jeff’s Select, English Hollow Cheddar, Pepper Jack, & Smoked Gouda
- Marieke Gouda, Thorp, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Marieke Penterman and taste Marieke Belegen Gouda, Foenegreek Gouda, Truffle Gouda, Marieke Golden & Marieke Gouda Aged 9-12 months
- Martha’s Pimento Cheese, Milwaukee, Wis: Meet Owner Martha Davis Kipcak and taste Martha’s Pimento Cheese in Mild, Jalapeno and Chile de Arbol flavors
- Montchevre, Belmont, Wis: Meet Owners Arnaud Solandt & Cheesemaker Jean Rossard and Sales Director Patrick Considine and taste Non-GMO Goat logs, Bucheron, Chevre in Blue, Goat Brie, Goat Feta, Goat Cheddar
- Potter’s Crackers, Madison, Wis: Meet Owner Nancy Potter and taste all cracker flavors & oyster crackers
- Quince and Apple, Madison, Wis: Meet Owners Matt & Clare Stoner Fehnsenfeld and taste their preserves: Figs & Black Tea, Raspberry Rose, Pear with Honey & Ginger, Tart Cherry & White Tea, Shallots with Red Wine, Peach Chamomile, Orange Marmalade & Pear Mostarda
- Red Barn Family Farms, Appleton, Wis: Meet Owners Dr. Terry and Paula Homan and taste Cupola, Edun Raw Milk Cheese, Le Rouge Alpine Style Cheese & 5-Year Weis
- Roelli Cheese, Shullsburg, Wis: Meet Master Cheesemaker Chris Roelli and taste Dunbarton Blue, Red Rock, Little Mountain & Roelli Haus Select Cheddar
- Sartori Cheese, Plymouth, Wis: Meet Master Cheesemaker Mike Matucheski and taste 2017 U.S. Grand Champion Black Pepper BellaVitano, SarVecchio Parmesan, Rosemary and Olive Oil Asiago, Pastorale Blend & MontAmore
- Saxon Cheese, Cleveland, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Eric Steltenpohl and taste Snowfields Butterkase, Ferme Meadows & Saxony Alpine
- Sheep Dairy Association of Wisconsin: Meet Dairy Farmer Laurel Kieffer and taste Wisconsin sheep milk cheeses and products
- Springside Cheese, Oconto Falls, Wis: Meet Co-owner Nathan Hintz and taste Krakow, Pueblo Jack & Cheddar
- Treat Bake Shop, Milwaukee, Wis: Meet Owner Sarah Marx Feldner and taste a variety of spiced and candied nuts
- Union Star Cheese & Willow Creek, Fremont, Wis: Meet Master Cheesemaker Jon Metzig and taste Red Willow, St. Jeanne & Farmhouse Cheddar
- Uplands Cheese, Dodgeville, Wis: Meet Cheesemaker Andy Hatch and taste Pleasant Ridge Reserve